Pages

Monday 30 March 2009

Highway code

Be honest, when was the last time you picked up a copy of the highway code. Unless you have recently passed your driving test - you probably don't know the answer.

These days driving tests are preceded by a 'Theory Test', making sure drivers know the highway code inside out. When I took my first driving test questioning in this area involved three random questions asked at the end of the test. Despite getting these questions right, I was failed for almost clipping a pensioner on a pelican crossing. Please note, the fail was not for missing.

When I finally passed my test, the Theory Test had been introduced and I went along to sit a multiple choice exam. Last week a great deal of fuss was made over the standard of the GCSE Science Exam, you should have seen the theory test. From memory the questions level was:



The sign on the left denotes
a) barbers nearby
b) crash helmets must be worn
c) no entry

I could not believe that people failed, but was pleased I would not be encountering them on the road.

Whilst driving at the weekend I noticed the following signs, and was at a loss as to what they stood for:



If like me you have little or no idea what the sign means, then have a guess.

This is when they are used:

Symbols that may be used to indicate a diversion route

Different symbols are used when several location diversions are in place in one area.

So now you know, still not sure if it is an obvious signage system - perhaps it is just me.

Still I am at a higher level to those drivers who don't understand no entry signs and one way systems.
Luke Carter

Author: Carmony.co.uk

If you would like more tips and guides to help you buy a car, then go to our Get Advice pages on Carmony.co.uk